Without any doubt, honey is an amazing natural product. The health benefits of this food are well-known around the world and people have used honey as a food and for medicinal purposes for hundreds of years.
The sweet taste of honey is the reason why both adults and children love it. Unfortunately, honey is considered to be a costly ingredient in many households.
Due to its price, people often purchase the cheapest they can find in the supermarket, or the ones with the most misleading advertisements. Even the one in the best-looking, most dazzling container. Often, when the substandard, lower price honey is being sold, you’d be suprised to know that its not actually pure honey that you’re buying.
In order to lower the price, the chemical make-up of honey is often subjected to numerous alterations.
A public research study conducted by the Food Safety News provided a rather alarming find concerning honey. They have discovered that upto 76% of all types of honey available in supermarkets have been subjected to a process called ultra filtration.
This is a special type of filtration which eliminates impurities including wax traces. Of course this activity is good, but the elimination process also removes some useful structures found in honey like pollen.
According to the manufacturers the filtration is required because it keeps the honey safe from crystallization and extends its shelf life. However, without pollen, honey doesn’t have the same positive effect on our body.
The scientists that were conducting the aforementioned study claim that the most important reason why people should stay away from ultra filtered honey is the fact that once the honey is treated in this way, no one can tell where the honey comes from.
One good example of honey that is treated in this way is honey that comes from China. Namely, this honey is usually polluted with a wide range of antibiotics and even some metal. These manufacturers practice ultra filtration and no one knows exactly where this honey is coming from.
So, we will highlight a few reputable brands and location where you can find honey that doesn’t have pollen:
– Honey types sold at Walgreen’s and CVS Pharmacy do not contain pollen.
– Certain packages of KFC and McDonald honey do not contain pollen.
– Honey Winnie the Pooh which can be bought at Walmart does not have pollen.
– 77% of the honey sold at Costco, Target and Sam’s Club do not have pollen.
And, you should also know that there are honey types which have been combined with glucose, as well as others which are high in poor-quality mead. Adulterated honey is honey that is not in its purest possible form. Some people also say that adulterated honey is often sold in the supermarkets, so you should learn how to recognize it:
– Here’s what you need to know – well, if your honey does not “crystallize” after some time, there is a good chance it may be adulterated, since the pure one will crystallize when kept in the fridge.
– This is also very important – you should always read the labels! Yes, always read the label on the honey, and if it contains commercial glucose or high fructose corn syrup, avoid it.
– Or, you can try this method as well – you just have to add a few iodine drops into a glass of water and add in some honey afterwards. If your honey turns a blue color it has been combined with corn starch.
– Or, you can add a couple of drops of vinegar into a mixture of water with honey. If you see foam, your honey has been adulterated with plaster.
– Some people use this trick as well – you can burn the honey with phosphorus or a match, and if it ignites, it is pure honey.
– Or, you can place a spoon of honey into a glass of water. In case the honey does not dissolve, it is pure. Fake honey or poor-quality honey dissolves in water due to the high adulteration.