There’s no doubt that baking soda is one of the most beneficial ingredients you can find in the kitchen. Apart from cooking, this kitchen staple also has a number of incredible uses around the house. In fact, you can use it for almost anything – cleaning both indoors and outdoors, deodorizing, for beauty treatments, health ailments, and the list doesn’t end here.
It’s non-toxic to use as a green cleaning agent and has a number of outdoor applications.
HEALTH AND BEAUTY USES OF BAKING SODA
1. Freshens your mouth– mix 1 tbsp. baking soda in a ½ glass of water. Swish this around your mouth, then spit out and wash your teeth as normal.
2. Heartburn – drink a mixture of ½ glass of water and 1 tsp. baking soda.
3. Relieve body odor – combine some baking soda with a powder puff and use it as an underarm deodorant.
4. Facial scrub. Make a paste of 3 parts b. soda to 1 part water. Rub on skin in a circular motion. Rinse clean.
5. Soothe your feet. Dissolve 3 tablespoons of b. soda in a warm bath. Let feet soak and gently scrub.
6. Polish silver: prepare a paste of 1 part of water and 3 parts of baking soda to rub it onto the silverware with a clean cloth or sponge. Rinse it thoroughly;
7. Clean sponges: soak smelly sponges in 4 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in 1 quart of warm water;
8. Clean the oven: spray baking soda with water and let it stay overnight in the oven. In the morning, scrub it and wipe it away;
9. Refresh your fridge: to remove the odors from your fridge, open a container of baking soda and place it in the fridge;
10. Longer lasting flowers: add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water in the vase to keep the cut flowers fresh;
11. Clean shoes: apply a paste of baking soda and water on your shoes, scrub it with a sponge or rag, and finally wipe it off;
GARDEN AND GARAGE
12. Remove oil stains from garage floors – make a mixture of water and baking soda and scrub the spots using this mixture and a brush
13. Rejuvenate the greenery – prepare a mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of clear ammonia, and one teaspoon of Epsom salt. Then, add this mixture to a gallon of water. Use a quart of it on every rosebush-size shrub that has lost it shine
14. Repel bugs – sprinkle a little baking soda under the sinks, on the basement windows, and on other places so that you repel ants and cockroaches
15. Sweeten tomatoes – if you want to improve the taste of your tomatoes, sprinkle some baking soda on the soil around the vegetable
16. Deodorize cars – take some baking soda and sprinkle it over the carpets and the carpets in the car, wait for about fifteen minutes and then vacuum it up
17. Deodorize the cutting boards. Sprinkle cutting boards with b. soda, scrub and rinse.
18. Remove insecticides. Fill your sink with water and mix in 1/4 cup of baking soda. Wash fruits and vegetables in the water to safely remove insecticides.
19. Make fluffier omelets– add ½ tsp. baking soda per egg to make your omelet fluffier.
20. When boiling a chicken, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Feathers will come off easier, and the flesh will be clean and white.